Saturday, May 8, 2010

Site off Mountain Road - Part 1

I first talked about this site here:  rockpile-site-lower-yoder-township.
This is the best example of a very large cairn. It shows some age. And I know there are at least two more of this size (over 5 feet high) in there. But this 6 foot black rat snake made me change tactics.
So I only ended up taking some fresh pictures of some edge piles. Since I have also seen Rattle Snakes in this area. I have a healthy respect for snakes since almost getting bitten by a Copperhead while picking blueberries years ago.
A couple of things about this site. As you can see, it's a big mess. There is a small pile in the lower center of this picture. I get the sense that some of these piles could be of the burial type. Along with being convinced that some piles could be related to weather.
 As you can see it's a big mess and it's hard to even spot the piles themselves.
 I am a daily walker and go 30 miles a week. My old route and turnaround for 15 years was on the edge of this site, and I know the weather patterns up here like the back of my hand. From winter snows to thunderstorms.
There are two piles here. Since this part of the Alleghenies can make it's own weather, I've seen first hand how quickly things can go downhill from snowstorms to lightning strikes.
I am convinced that part of this site was put aside to remember or honor the weather. This next picture shows two piles.
Now there are piles of what looks like different ages to me scattered all across this area that seems to be broken up by this large spring sort of in the middle of all of this.
This looks like what remains of a stone lined water source. There is a least one large snapping turtle calling this place home.
All of the above piles are all located in the area behind this spring. Turning in the other direction is this next set of rockpiles.
As you will see, the ground cover on this side is thick, but more walk friendly. Next up is this low to the ground row.
Continuing on, finding more medium piles in the area.
To this small one.
There are so many rockpiles that I need to actually sit down and try to map out this site, to see if there is some sort of pattern in style and location.

No comments:

Post a Comment