Monday, April 26, 2010

Rockpile Site - Lower Yoder Township

This is an area that they are logging 20 acres off of Mountain Road. I tried friday to get up in there, but they were working. So I went up sunday. Thought it would be better going than it was. Lots and I mean lots of sharp as diamonds jagger bushes everywhere.
Walking in, you can see rockpiles everywhere. This picture isn't the greatest, because there is just too much under brush to get  clear views. But standing at one, you can see others in all four directions.
This is one of many of the large type that I don't find around here everyday.
I need to get one of those marking sticks to help show you the scale. This cairn is slightly taller than me and I am 5'5".
Like I said there are more of these this size and others of the smaller size here.
Turning heading left from this cairn I found another smaller and low rockpile that seems to be of the 'on the boulder' type.
Showing the other side.
Next time I go up, I will be taking a machete to clear out the brush and going when the weather is better. I knew there was a chance that a storm could be blowing in. But I thought I had it timed. Even though I didn't get wet, I was treated to a thunder and lightning show that you could almost touch and made me jump and I bolted the heck out of there. Which brings me to theory I have about this site and another across the ridge line. Could some of these rockpiles be weather related in a ceremonial kind of way? You could feel the energy of the storm here and you don't get that all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful piles.
    - I skip the meter stick because the scale can usually be determined from surrounding foliage.
    - Some of those piles look distinctly older than others

    Are there rows or even spacings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on that. Do get the feeling there a kind of spacing and there is something more going on, in regards to more rockpiles and a large spring I found yesterday.

    ReplyDelete