Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lower Yoder Cairns

 With too much snow on the top of the mountain and deer season wrapping up. I decided to head to a safe zone and for the first time ever - took my little 7 year old nephew RJ with me to explore a patch of woods - he might possibly be standing on a large mound - but I think it's most likely just simple glacier debris. I have to get better pictures of this one.
Ran across alot of different features - trouble is  - some are very hard to make out. Spotted this very nice rock on rock.
I'm hoping I can get him interested in this hobby.
The top stones sort of remind me of a birds head as does the side view.
This is as clear as it will get - because when you walk around to the other side - the large amount of debris makes it hard to see.
-----------------------------------
See what I mean - this is the mess that greets you behind the structure. It's hard to tell from this picture - but there are other small stones in between the blanket of debris.
Off to the left of middle - a very rare piece of quartz. I can count on my hand as many times as I have ever run across quartz. Maybe they just didn't use it much or didn't have it available - either way - it's rare in my section of Pennsylvania.
This is behind it.
Spotted a couple of simplier rock on rock structures. Without cleaning it off - it feel's like there are more stones underneath the debris.
Another - that the front sort of resembles a turtle.
From behind
Another simple rock on rock
Another
And another
All in all - I will be going back to explore this area further. And RJ had a great time - even brought home some chunks of slate - showed him how to break it apart to look for fossils - which is now his new hobby.




No comments:

Post a Comment