Friday, January 13, 2012

Evans Hill Area - Part 2


Part Two - from my trip to Evans Hill in Indiana County. This is the first of the very large, round, angled up rockpiles there. This is number 5 on the map.
This is 2012
And this is the same area back in 1939. Pile number 5 is in the middle of the red circle. I honestly can't help but feel that those rockpiles are meant to be viewed from either the ground to the mound or even better yet form a constellation - I have been going thru some - but haven't come up with a match yet. But my hunch is that if you are on the rockpiles themselves - I wonder what the night sky looks like directly above them during different times of the year. The areas circled in blue look like they had rockpiles in 1939 - but I didn't get  chance to follow up in those areas.
This is the rockpile that has been re-worked as I have stated in previous posts. I believe that the manitou stone in the center came from the outside of the ring of stone. It was set up like the manitou like stone in the front here - the other piles show this same kind of stonework feature. Bigger stone on the outside and smaller in the center.
I'm heading now to the lefthand side of the woods.
This is the section that contains some very large stone ringlike structures with the mound off in the distance.
Some of these shots didn't turn out very good. For one thing - they look better in person and two - they are just too large. Looks like at least one or two possible standing stones.
Another stone circle-like area.
Another feature hard to see in a photo - what you are looking at is one of a couple of semi-circle earthen rings that are sprinkled thru out this section.
Another one that is hard to see.
Another circle of stone with what looks like a "tail" on the left hand side.
And another ring of stone - I know that's hard to really see - but on site - these structures just pop out of the landscape.



No comments:

Post a Comment