Saturday, January 21, 2012

Evans Hill Area - Part 4

Part 4 and a wrap up of my visit to Evans Hill. I am now going to head to the area of the woods directly behind where I am standing - where I last left off HERE.
These two things caught my eye. One is a short, rectangle like, stump of a wall like thing - more cigar shaped than anything else and the other is a circular mound that looks burial to me.
This example is exactly the same as the type I've found elsewhere.
This possible structure right by it - on the other hand - I'm not very sure of. Could be field clearing - but to me - it does look like a long rockpile - it does have some age to it.
As far as you eye can see - more rock on rock.
And small rockpiles.
------------------------
------------------------
Now heading back out to the car - a different way than where we walked in and in the words of my 7 year old nephew - "what a beautiful view" - I have to agree - with a nice rock on rock example pointing the way.
Nice size cairn that shows its age.
Another mess of a cairn.
Back to back cairns - I've posted example of these structures before.
Trying my best to show them both in one shot.
Closeup of the cairn on the upper left of the previous picture. See that triangle stone - it points north - according to my GPS.
RJ proudly showing off his coyote skull he found there.
Another mess of a cairn.
From the other side.
Another rockpile
This one and this next example.
All in all - this site is alot to take in. When we were almost done walking around - one of the homeowners (who is nice to us) stopped to talk. He owns the land where THIS GRINDING STONE is. I was asking him about his property - because I'd spotted lots more rockpiles and a wall that shows some age. He told me - the wall was there before him as were some of the rockpiles - but not all though. He said he'd made some of them clearing his backyard.
Wrapping up this long, four part series...there are more walls and rockpiles out there that next time I go out I will get some shots of - once the snow melts that is. My opinion of the site hasn't changed the more I explore the area. I believe it was once held as a very sacred and ceremonial place - more so than most of your average sites. I believe that the area now destroyed by the strip mine - most likely was like this section - full of rock on rock and small rockpiles.




3 comments:

  1. More good stuff; in the "pointing the way" photo, I see the suggestion of a turtle's head at the left of the big boulder/outcrop the stones are piled on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim - you're right! I was too busy noticing the triangle. The whole thing looks like it sits on top of the back of a turtle - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I noticed that right away and thought "Tim's got to see this one"! Glad to know you've seen it, Tim!

    ReplyDelete