Monday, May 17, 2010

Stone Road - Lower Yoder Township

Knowing that there is yet more rain in the forecast coming up. I thought I'd better head up to Brown's and put some fresh flags on the graves of a couple of Black Civil War Veterans. The old ones have seen better days. As I was walking up the old road that has been here since at least 1774 - for more on the history click cambriahistory.blogspot.com. I use this old road so much and take it's age for granted. Which means I've hardly ever photographed it. So I thought on saturday, it's about time I do.
Some of it is made up of bedrock, but other sections are made up of what looks like quarried chunks of stone layed flat as a road surface.
All in all about 60% of the road going up is made up of stone and rock like this. And even in wet weather, it stays in better shape compared to dirt roads. I think this road is a perfect example of an old Indian type trail written and explained in depth by Paul Wallace in is 'Indian Trails of Pennsylvania' book.
As you can see, the old road is still in great shape. And what makes this road even more important in my mind is that near the end of it is one of my old and much photographed favorite structures. I can't help thinking that the road and this structure are somehow connectioned. If you ask me, I think it's on a shamantic level.
Turning and looking at the end of this road up top.   
Heading now to Brown's I enjoy always being greeted by what I call the 'three sisters'. These old apple trees are the only ones left standing from a 150 year old orchard that used to be here.
There are at least 77 people if not more buried in the old family cemetery. The first burial occured in 1827, when 80 year old Elizabeth Harshberger (William's mother) died after arriving by wagon train from Lancaster County. I just thought it would be nice with Memorial Day coming up, to honor the couple of old vets up there with some fresh flags.
I didn't realize that the War Markers use a smaller type flag, so I just stuck them next to the markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment