Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Possible Burial?

This is one of - quite a few other low to the ground cairns -  in an area located just past Browns Farm (Laurel Hill Settlement) off of Sons of Italy Road in Lower Yoder. I shot this photo on zoom and I'm not sure if the red stone in the center is red oche or red standstone. Without looking at it closeup - I'd say it looks like red standstone.

I really didn't notice the use of red till I looked at all the other pictures I shot in the area. The use of color is very rare around here. I don't know why. But having said this - some of the other nearby rockpiles feature sunken, hollow centers - which are much more common in use. Either way - this is an area that I will be exploring more this spring - given the large concentration of Native American activity in the whole general area I have found in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment