Monday, February 15, 2010

Browns Farm - Johnstown - Lower Yoder Township - John Smith Obit

This is the obituary of John Smith (died January 1895) - he was the son of Ebinburg Smith who settled this part of the Laurel Hill back in the late 1700's to early 1800's. He was of African-American/Native American heritage, which makes this story even more interesting. This aspect of the history I will be writing about in future posts.

This is the burial plot - it's hard to tell just how many people are buried here. My last count was at least 77 burials if not more. That is not a mound in the background - but a small pond put in by Elmer Brown (the last owner of the farm). Many a Morrellville kid enjoyed a summer swim in this popular waterhole.

Coming up in future posts. I will be talking about John Smith's Civil War Service.
For more history on the Browns and Smiths click http://cambriahistory.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. I am glad some one is writing about the Brown farm, but I wish u would get things right. My Mother-in-law and father-in-law and their 8 kids lived there until John passed and the state made his wife and kids get off the land. I was told that the ground was given to the man that was in the service and no one but no one could take it from the Brown*s. and the damn was made by my husband8s dad.My husband kept the place nice my kids and I use to go up and spend the day having a pinic and playing ball. after he cut the grass. Then when he started to take seizures my son took over until people started to tear it up..If u decide to write anymore I wish u would talk to my husband and Son. We live on Grape Ave rent off Hess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very interested in the history and would like to talk with you about the settlement. Are you still available? If so, could you please respond here. Thanks

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete