Monday, January 9, 2012

Evans Hill Area - Part 1

Spent some quality time exploring the woods all around the Evans Hill Mound. And everytime I go - I am even more convinced this site is Native American and a Solar Calender. But the problem lies in not being able to search the site in gridlike patterns - that I like to do. As I have said before - the locals are none too friendly. And there were three of us - my little nephew and reader Bill Carney. So whenever I go out there - I always feel like this time - I'll be arrested. I'm not used to that. On my side of the Laurel Mountains - no one ever bothers me - which is the way I like it. But enough complaining. And on a more positive note - on to my visit:
Imagine the area around the mound in the shape of the letter U. The mound would be at the top and this area would be the back, bottom left of the U. Walking into the woods from the strip mine road (remember the strip mine is behind this site) . These simple, multiple rockpiles and rock on rocks greet you. There are actually seven of these types in this shot.
Some are large and some of smaller along with some following in lines to each other.
Little RJ taking his measurements of this nice, simple rock on rock.
A semi-oval rockpile with the strip mine in the distance. The ever expanding strip mine has already destroyed a lot.
More rock on rock - besides being timbered in the past.
It's probably hard to tell from this shot - but this rockpile is oval and shows it's age.
Three rockpiles here.
The next couple of pictures shows different angles of this possible structure. I'm not entirely convinced this is something. But having said that. It is a rockpile - shaped like a cigar - it's those two rocks tipped together that are interesting. Looking through the opening - you can just barely see THIS ROCK SHELTER.
 And this makes it even more interesting with two possible manitou stones touching - surrounded by a circle of rock which is on top of a small low to the ground boulder.
Another closer look
This is the view looking out the opposite direction
This rock on rock reminds of a bird effigy
A cairn showing it's age
Just out of the woods with the mound and larger rockpiles in the distance.

1 comment:

  1. That cigar shaped rock pile sounds interesting. At the Ludlow Creek site, there are many short stubs of stone wall. In some cases, they very low to the ground, more like a rectangular rock pile, or possibly a cigar, like you are describing. One, in particular, curves and ends at a water breakout. That one had a similar stone on the end away from the water, but not a manitou like yours. It was triangular without the "shoulders". It could be just a coincidence in the case of the one I saw, but yours looks intentional.

    ReplyDelete