Sunday, December 4, 2011

Laurel Ridge Rockpiles


With hunters all over the place - I headed to what I thought was a safe site - since it's listed as an Orange Zone Area. Did see one guy illegally hunting - I had orange on and I'd hardly be mistaken for a deer - bear yes...deer no. Spotted what's left of this beauty.
-------------------------------
What's left of this tree - did all this damage.
Moving on - while standing here - I spotted this:
I know it's hard to tell from this shot - but this is a nice - low to the ground rockpile.
I stood on it and could feel the stones underneath my feet.
This large tree is growing out of a rockpile. Larger - yet still low to the ground rockpile. Again, I tested all the way around - and there are stones underneath those leaves.
Another low to the ground rockpile with a hollow. But since there are other piles damaged by trees - that could also be what caused this hollow.
Another angle of the same rockpile.
Heading over a short distance to my favorite tree. This 300+ year old Lady of the Forest and what is underneath have fascinated me for the last couple of years. This is situated on a gentle slope.
A beautiful, small standing stone and on the right hand side of the picture - what looks like alot of flint-knapping debris.
I rarely disturb anything - but I have dug down into this area - and this debris goes down at least a foot. Strange thing is - there is no outcrops of black slate in this section of the mountain.
There is also some lighter shades of slate - sprinkled around.
Low to the ground rockpile.
Low to the ground rockpile.
Along with a little rock on rock action.
-------------------------------
Heading out - and this is yet another large - 300+ year old tree - that has managde to not be chopped down.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be OK to brush the leaves off some of those.

    ReplyDelete