Sunday, March 28, 2010

Double Sunken Rockpile - Lower Yoder Township

Took a bunch of pictures over weekend, which I will be posting this week. Finally got back up to the area near Browns Farm (for more click here). Found this interesting example of what looks like a double sunken rockpile/cairn.

Closeup of pile on the left.
As I was walking along and right before I spotted the above piles. I ran across this interesting example of what looks like at least 4 rockpiles in a group.

All this stuff is very near the area of the old Harshberger Homestead which I believe I finally found. They were a mixed race couple. John was black and his wife Nancy was white. They settled here in the Laurel Mountains around 1826 or so, after moving up from downtown Johnstown. Their daughter Elizabeth (Betsy) then lived in these parts until her death. I will be posting pictures of the old foundation later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment