Saturday, March 13, 2010

Rockpile Sites and the Season's of the Year

With this weekend's time change. I have been thinking about why it's so much easier for me to spot some of the things I run across in the Spring as opposed to other times of the year. To me, it has to be the position of the sun in the morning sky. And that's something I really notice, considering I've worked overnights for many years and hardly see the sun 6 months out of the year. I see the moon and the night sky more than anything else. In a way, I am lucky, because by a kind of default, I get to track the movements of the sun and moon everyday. And it's become somewhat of a hobby to me.

Which brings me to the subject of today's post. The two sites I will be talking about were spotted by the position of the sun. First up, this Stone Skull:
I first talked about this site here. I know this subjective  - but I see a Stone Skull staring back at me. This is off to the side of a very old trail that has been there since at least 1774 (see here for more on the history of the trail). The first time I ever saw this, I did a double take. You just couldn't miss this, it was almost like a spotlight was shining down upon it.
Even with this closeup - I still see the features of a face and I continue to see it everytime I go up this section of the mountain.

Now on to a Stone Wall that was found by a direct result of the sun.
This is in an area - just off of Decker that was on my list to explore one day, but hadn't got to it yet. Last March was walking along Decker about 9 in the morning and saw the strangest thing. You can't see any of this from the road, because it sits back a piece. The sun was reflecting off of the wall. It looked like just like if you were using a mirror to get someones attention.
It was like there was a neon arrow pointing to the wall saying this way idiot. Imagine my surprise finding this beautiful wall that kind of reminds me of some of the sites in West Virginia. To find out more about this wall click here, here and finally here.

The wall trails up a ravine. And off to the left hand side is this possible double sunken burial mound:
Because of the fog - you can't really see the beginning of the wall that would be on the top half of the picture.
This is a closeup of one of the sunken areas. To learn more about this cairn click here. Standing at the cairn you can then see the following:
This smaller wall strings along the side of the hill, while the main wall that I have been talking about, which might be hard to see because of the fog, trails along the middle half of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment