Monday, March 22, 2010

Stone Circle by Wall - Another Look

PWAX had a question on a previous post about a stone wall here. What looks like a kind of campfire ring is on the lower left hand side of the photo. It's very close to the wall.
But having said this, it still kinda of reminds me of some the types of rockpiles, that are low to the ground and on some walls that sort of lean the rocks in.
Cleaning an internal section of it a couple of inches down. This could be burnt, but it could also be just plain old leaf debris that is decaying. I'm not an expert gardener. The rocks show no sign of being burnt. So I don't know either way. But if it was a campfire ring - it wouldn't have done a very good job.
Posted by Picasa
But it's still that type of anchor stone that I have been talking about previous that makes me thing it has something to do with the wall and nothing to do with campfire.  A couple of more shots of the ring of stone.


Here is the circle of stone - built into the wall.

3 comments:

  1. What struck me was that there was one stone inside the circle that did not look particularly like it had fallen off the outer ring. I think vision quest seats were "plugged" after use with a rock like this one inside the circle.

    Of course the simpler explanation is a fire circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...adding...I would expect the stones to be burnt reddish on the inside if it was a fire circle. But I do not see any signs of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have posted other examples of the use of this type of "plug" in circular rockpiles all across the area. I just wonder if they then could also maybe be related to vision quests in some way. Thank you for bringing this option of possible use to my attention. This wall snakes up a ravine and if everything was clearcut - sitting in this circle, you'd get a very nice view of the Conemaugh Gap.

    Except for the walls I have been finding which have some height to them. Everything else is so low to the ground unlike Eastern Pennsylvania, New England or even parts of West Virginia. You almost have to be on top of this stuff to spot it. Even the use of limestone and sandstone for the most part, makes this stuff almost blend into the background.

    ReplyDelete